Manage episode 253380956 series 32120
Duncan is the CEO of Flourish, a popular data visualization tool to help people create storytelling visualizations from data. Duncan founded Flourish together with Robin Houston in 2016 and since then they made a lot of progress and acquired a large user base. It’s always great to hear about successful data visualization companies!
On the show Duncan describes what Flourish is, how it works and how it differs from other data visualization tools. We also talk about the unique playback option Flourish has and the “talkies” feature, which introduces audio and sound elements to add to a visualization. Finally, we also talk about their business model and future trajectories.
Enjoy the show!
- Shipmap.org — Visualization of Global Cargo Ships by Kiln
- Why data visualization needs a play button
- Talkie – Talkies explained
1. Welcome to Data Stories! (00:00:30)
2. Our podcast is listener-supported, please consider making a donation (00:01:05)
3. Our topic today: FLOURISH (00:01:40)
4. Our guest: Duncan Clark (00:02:14)
5. What is FLOURISH? (00:04:18)
6. What sets FLOURISH apart from other viz tools? (00:07:40)
7. What role do the playback options have? (00:10:14)
8. What types of templates are available? (00:18:14)
9. The design process of a good collection of templates (00:25:32)
10. What is the business model behind FLOURISH? (00:27:20)
11. What are "talkies"? (00:32:21)
12. Where do you see the tool evolving? (00:37:19)
13. Get in touch with us and support us on Patreon (00:39:37)