Manage episode 273268560 series 2528264
“Many food companies are deceiving you on the front of the box to prevent you from reading the back.” -Mira Dessy
Mira Dessy, The Ingredient Guru, is an author, public speaker, and a Board Certified Holistic Health Practitioner who teaches how to navigate the grocery store’s mammoth packaged food stock, to decipher confusing food labels, understand the relationship of food additives to poor health, and to find real food. A holistic nutrition professional and a popular public speaker, she knows that it's not just what you eat, but what's in what you eat. She is the author of the book The Pantry Principle: How to Read the Label and Understand What's Really in Your Food. Dessy is a member of the National Association of Nutrition Professionals, the Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior, the American Association of Drugless Practitioners, and is on the board of directors for the American Holistic Health Association. In today’s talk we delve into what ingredients to look out for that may be harming your bones and overall health.
[01:55] Introduction to Mira Dessy
[03:07] Why read your food labels?
[07:31] Learning the other names for "sugar"
[08:51] Avoid any ingredients with abbreviations
[13:39] Distinguishing nutrition nomenclature: organic & nonorganic
[30:39] Alternative milk and dairy
- Mira’s website – https://theIngredientGuru.com
- Free subscription to the Healthy Readers Book Club https://theingredientguru.com/hr10
- How to make non-dairy milk https://theingredientguru.com/2020/05/how-to-make-non-dairy-milk/
- Carrageenan causing serious health problems https://theingredientguru.com/2015/08/carrageenan-causing-serious-health-problems/
- ELISA ACT LRA (Lymphocyte Response Assay) test https://www.betterlabtestsnow.com/the-ingredient-guru/
DISCLAIMER – The information presented on this podcast should not be construed as medical advice. It is not intended to replace consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The ideas shared on this podcast are the expressed opinions of the guests and do not always reflect those of Margie Bissinger and the Happy Bones, Happy Life program.