Hmmm there seems to be a problem fetching this series right now. Last successful fetch was on October 10, 2020 18:40 ()
What now? This series will be checked again in the next day. If you believe it should be working, please verify the publisher's feed link below is valid and includes actual episode links. You can contact support to request the feed be immediately fetched.
Manage episode 265961932 series 2577087
Dolly Parton’s America producer Shima Oliaee joins host Skye Pillsbury to reveal what it was like to create a show about iconic singer/songwriter/actress/businesswoman Dolly Parton. The pair discuss:
- The moment Shima and Radiolab’s Jad Abumrad realized they had a series on their hands;
- How Jad tried to keep the idea “under wraps”;
- How much Dolly understood about what she was getting into;
- How Shima and Jad got beyond the iconic persona and discovered something deeper;
- Whether Dolly has heard the series yet.
- Sarah Smarsh’s book She Come By It Natural: Dolly Parton and the Women Who Lived Her Songs
- Aisha Harris’s piece for Slate on Dolly Parton’s Dixie Stampede, Springtime for the Confederacy;
- A New York Times article about Dr. Lynn Sacco’s “Dolly Parton’s America” class.
Get in touch:
Host Skye Pillsbury on Twitter @SkyePillsbury
Guest Shima Oliaee on Twitter @ShimaOliaee
Inside Podcasting producer Evo Terra on Twitter @EvoTerra
Inside Podcasting is produced and hosted by Skye Pillsbury. Evo Terra of Simpler Media Productions is Skye’s co-producer for season two. Charles Quilley is Skye’s sound engineer and Rachel Loden is our researcher. Thanks to Jason Calacanis for greenlighting this project, to Skye’s family for their unwavering support, and to all of YOU, the fabulous people who listen to this show.