Manage episode 273792871 series 2359262
Ryan Clover shares how to become a freelance web developer. His story provides an actionable template for building any type of freelance business.
Lot of great lessons in our conversations including:
- How he taught himself web development and how his activism work inspired him to expand his web skills to build community.
- How designing your website forces you to get super clear on your story.
- Why he wanted to work location independent.
- Why starting a business requires a lot of personal growth.
- How he started to get paid for his work after doing it pro bono for years.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build community.
- Self-directed learning.
- Embracing discomfort.
How Ryan Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 5:30 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Self-care. 2) Maintaining optimism. 3) Teaching.
- Ideal work environment: In his studio that’s set up as a creative playground with a whiteboard, a desk, an area dedicated to music.
- Superpower: Strategy – mapping things out and finding opportunities.
“It’s kind of magical to be able to do something behind the scenes that achieves a certain outcome or just makes things work.”
“I got into web design mostly because of how valuable it is to create a space where you can communicate 24/7.”
“There is so much possible in how we choose to design things and design is so much at the heart of how we make things better.”
“Think about everything as an iteration, as some kind of experiment.”
“If I take responsibility for it, then I can change it. If I complain about it, then I’m not learning anything.”
Struggling to take meaningful action? Ryan shared this advice to inspire you:
Be mindful of what the fears and barriers exist for you because they’re often more of a limiting belief than an external constraint.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Connect With Ryan
The post How to Become A Freelance Web Developer With Ryan Clover (346) appeared first on Life Skills That Matter.