Manage episode 280662830 series 2359262
Khalilah Elliott wants to inspire you to repackage your skills to do work that matters.
She s the founder and chief disruptor at Gafford Communications focused on helping organizations with their multicultural and social responsibility communication strategies.
Before she went out on her own she created marketing strategies for the Apollo Theater and Disney Theatrical.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- If you ve been recently laid off, Khalilah has some advice for you.
- Why freelancing was her entry point into entrepreneurship.
- The process she went through to recover emotionally from the loss of her job.
- Why her story is a warning for all of our careers.
- Within two years, she is making more money than her previous job.
- Ideas on how to repackage your skills to start your own business.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Embrace discomfort.
- Tell your story.
How Khalilah Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: Around 5:00 am
- Ideal work environment: Very quiet with people around that are doing other things.
- Superpower: Having a high emotional IQ.
- Definition of success: Working for, with, or alongside people who are doing work that is meaningful and passionate; being involved with work that brings art to people who may not have access or causes people to think about art in a different way; leaving an impression that people and companies have gotten better because of her work.
“Communications has been a part of who I am, even from the beginning.”
“There is a sense of pride that you can’t describe when it’s your own.”
“At this point, I have nothing to lose by asking for what I’m worth.
“It’s important, I think, that people have a very clear idea of what they want to accomplish.”
Feeling stuck and wanting to start working for yourself? Khalilah shared this advice for getting honest with yourself:
1) Take a deep breath, both literally and figuratively.
2) Reflect on what you liked and what you didn’t like in your past experience and then craft what your ideal experience looks like.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Connect With Khalilah
The post Repackage Your Skills To Do Work That Matters With Khalilah Elliott (357) appeared first on Life Skills That Matter.