Manage episode 298587550 series 2793284
This week I am talking about career transition and direction with Ashley Stahl. Ashley is a counter-terrorism professional turned career coach and author of the bestselling book, You Turn: Get Unstuck, Discover Your Direction, Design Your Dream Career, and she's on a mission to help you step into a career you’re excited about and aligned with.
We cover a wide range of topics relating to career, including why people get stuck or feel stuck in their jobs, the top ten career skill sets, and why you should do what you are, instead of what you love. Ashley ends our conversation with a mic drop quote, one of which we could all be reminded of, “Who you are, always wins.”
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Why people get so stuck in their career and commonplace directive of “follow your passion” (8:59)
- What Ashley means when she says, “Don’t do what you love, do what you are.” (11:58)
- The importance of being adaptable in today’s workforce.
- The top 10 core skill sets and why you need to know which one you possess. (14:09)
- How to figure out your core values and why these values matter for your career. (16:14)
- Advice for people who are in careers they love, but the organization’s leadership is less than desirable. (27:58)
- Ashley shares her thoughts about the 9-5 work schedule seen in the U.S. and how it may not be in service for everyone. (34:02)
- The myths people buy into in their careers. (36:43)