Join Larry Mantle weekdays for lively and in-depth discussions of Los Angeles and Southern California news, politics, science, entertainment, the arts and more. More AirTalk at www.kpcc.org.
Manage episode 288788826 series 1770889
By mugglecast, Andrew Sims, Laura Tee, and Pamela Gocobachi. Discovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio is streamed directly from their servers. Hit the Subscribe button to track updates in Player FM, or paste the feed URL into other podcast apps.
- Andrew has a bone to pick with SDCC over their decision to hold their convention over Thanksgiving weekend this year.
- Pam's neighbor drama made her an unwitting peeping Tom.
- Disney has announced that 'Black Widow' and 'Cruella' will debut on Disney+ the same day as their theatrical release. Will any of us pay the $30 premier access fee on top of our Disney+ subscription? Andrew's concerned about these extra fees becoming the new normal.
- What's with all the gritty reboots? Do we really need to see the Powerpuff Girls working through their childhood trauma?
- Laura delivers some solemn news: Delta 8 may be legal for now, but some states are cracking down.
- Listener Michelle joins us to discuss her experience as a member of the AAPI community over the course of the pandemic. She brings with her some examples of coded language and racial stereotypes she recommends we keep an eye out for.
- Michelle also recommends: PBS: Asian Americans, bystander intervention training, and supporting our local Asian-owned restaurants and businesses.
- Tired of getting Zoom-ready? Tell your boss you want to leave your camera off to save the planet!
- In some good news: Moderna and Pfizer are proving to be 90% effective in real-world settings two weeks after the second jab, and chances of being an asymptomatic spreader are low.
- This week's recommendations will give you plenty to do: 'Lupin' on Netflix (Laura), the new co-op game 'It Takes Two' (Andrew), and Try Guys' 'We need to talk about Asian hate' video (Pam).
- This week's episode is sponsored by Talkspace (https://www.talkspace.com and enter code MILL for $100 off your first month) and Stamps.com (https://www.stamps.com and enter promo code MILL for a 4 week free trial PLUS free postage and a digital scale). Support #Millennial by supporting our sponsors!
And in this week's installment of After Dark, available on Patreon:
- Can you tell the difference between human and AI generated content? Quiz yourself here.
- Are three brains better than the one that achieved the best score of 13/21 on this? Probably not.
- We have some tips and tricks you can use to help discern between human and AI generated content courtesy of Reuters.
- Laura reveals her "surprise" to the panel, and it is indeed pretty freaky.
- Andrew's not happy with someone close to him who is breaking pandemic guidelines early.