Join Larry Mantle weekdays for lively and in-depth discussions of Los Angeles and Southern California news, politics, science, entertainment, the arts and more. More AirTalk at www.kpcc.org.
30: Prank Calling Birthday Boy, Protesting the Postmaster, Controversial 'Black-ish' Finally Released
Manage episode 269880824 series 1770889
By mugglecast, Andrew Sims, Laura Tee, and Pamela Gocobachi. Discovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio is streamed directly from their servers. Hit the Subscribe button to track updates in Player FM, or paste the feed URL into other podcast apps.
- Kamala Harris was announced as Joe Biden's running mate last week. Listen to our thoughts on the selection in our most recent edition of Breaking News!
- It's a very special podcast host's birthday, which warrants a very special prank call. Happy birthday, Micah!
- Thanks to everyone who pointed out that Andrew did indeed say last week's taboo word (2020). Andrew takes 1.5 shots as his penance.
- Queensland Australia is seeing a significant reduction in flu transmission as a result of Queenslanders following coronavirus-inspired hygiene practices.
- While the Trumpster is at it again with the birther movement, Mike Pence vows to save America's meat.
- Does Trump have a reason to be nervous about this election? We do an overview of which states are toss-ups, and which party has the most to lose in the Senate.
- Being nervous about his election odds would certainly explain why our toddler-in-chief is trying to kill the U.S. Postal Service. (Note: This episode was recorded prior to statements on Tuesday by the Postmaster General)
- We've got some tips to help make sure your vote is counted this fall!
- As the 'Rona climbs to the #3 cause of death in the United States, more schools are closing due to outbreaks mere days after opening.
- ABC is finally releasing a 2018 episode of Black-ish that was pulled for being "too political."
- Does purchasing a novel from a known problematic author make a confessional writer a bad person? We'll discuss enjoying problematic things in this week's After Dark.
- We've got some great recommendations for a cozy night in this week! Fall Guys on PS4 and Steam (Andrew), ReignBot on Youtube, and Juan Gil Silver Label red wine (Pam).
- This week's episode is sponsored by bioClarity (https://www.bioclarity.com and use code MIL for 15% off everything on their website), Raycon (https://www.buyraycon.com/mill for 15% off Raycon wireless earbuds), and Magic Spoon (https://www.magicspoon.com/MILL to get a variety pack of cereal and use promo code MILL at checkout for FREE shipping). Support #Millennial by supporting our sponsors!
And in this week's installment of After Dark:
- We make a Surprise Bitch! call to listener Madeleine, who fills us in on living in Austin and her hustles to get her through quarantine.
- We revisit some of our old faves with a 2020 lens, and how we reconcile our enjoyment of them despite problematic elements.
- Our parents are also revisiting their favorite TV shows while we're at home, and cringing at some aspects of the stories that haven't aged well.
- There can be a fine line between taking a critical lens to entertainment and seeking to be critical in the name of call-out culture.