Manage episode 292771765 series 2394558
Welcome to episode 230 of the Sexology Podcast! Today I’m delighted to welcome back Martha Kauppi, LMFT to the podcast. In this episode, Martha speaks to us about her new book, Polyamory: A Clinical Toolkit for Therapists (and Their Clients), looking at consensual non-monogamy, examining common myths around polyamory, and the relationship and sexual dynamics of polyamory.
Martha Kauppi, LMFT, is an educator, AASECT-certified sex therapist and supervisor, and AAMFT-approved supervisor. She specializes in relational sex therapy, including alternative family structures, and trains therapists to work effectively at the intersection of sex issues and relationship challenges.
Martha’s mission is to make sex a safe topic in therapy rooms everywhere by developing unique educational experiences and immediately applicable learning materials for therapists. She has a book coming out in August 2020 about working effectively with clinical challenges related to polyamory.
In this episode, you will hear:
- How Martha became interested in writing her new book; Polyamory: A Clinical Toolkit for Therapists (and Their Clients)
- Looking at consensual non-monogamy
- How people are more open to polyamory now than in previous years
- Deconstructing the stigma attached to polyamory
- Examining common myths around polyamory
- Recommendations for people considering opening their relationship
- Looking the relationship and sexual dynamics of polyamory
- How misconceptions around polyamory lead to a fear of it
- Looking at differentiation
- How therapists can better understand these issues to know when it’s right to recommend polyamory
Find Martha Kauppi online
101 Ways to Keep Your Relationship Hot
Podcast Produced by Pete Bailey - http://petebailey.net/audio