Manage episode 286971324 series 2891560
This month’s Aliquot Preview episode is a collection of clips that covers some of the many health benefits associated with sauna use, including heat shock protein activation, cardiovascular health, muscle mass preservation, and more.
In this episode, you'll discover:
- 00:00 - Implications of sauna bathing on risk of pneumonia and respiratory illnesses
- 01:00 - Sauna use and the common cold.
- 01:57 - Sauna and improved lung function
- 02:30 - Finnish sauna, humidity and the immune system
- 07:00 - What are the effects of sauna and hot baths on heat shock proteins and the immune system?
- 11:25 - Temperature and duration of sauna bathing to obtain the cardiovascular benefits
- 15:30 - Rhonda’s sauna practices.
- 16:14 - What are your recommendations for infrared sauna temperature and time?
- 18:45 - Do infrared saunas work as well as conventional saunas?
- 18:47 - Comparing the efficacy and safety of infrared saunas vs conventional saunas.
- 24:03 - At what temperature and how long do you need to stay in the sauna to activate heat shock proteins?
- 26:50 - Does sauna use promote excretion of heavy metals such as arsenic?
- 29:12 - Are there ways of mimicking sauna use without regular access to a sauna?
- 29:14 - Heat stress response from various types of heat stress modalities.
- 31:24 - Whole body hyperthermia similar to the sauna improves drug-resistant depression
- 33:55 - If compounds such as metformin, resveratrol and vitamin E counteract exercise-induced hormesis, would this be true for other stressors such as the sauna, fasting, broccoli sprouts, polyphenols?
- 33:57 - How does sauna use mimic moderate cardiovascular exercise?
- 35:47 - Considerations for children using saunas.
- 37:06 - How does fasting affect human growth hormone and IGF-1 in respect to muscle mass?
- 37:08 - Sauna activates growth hormone.
- 38:10 - What are 3-5 things that promote longevity that most people don’t know about.
- 38:12 - Sauna regimen for longevity.
- 39:50 - Time, temperature, and frequency to get longevity benefits and heat shock proteins.
- 43:30 - Can saunas be used during fasting to preserve more muscle and increase fat burning?
- 43:32 - Sauna use while fasting.
- 45:50 - Can saunas be used to treat headaches?
- 45:52 - Thoughts on sauna use for tension headaches.
- 47:27 - How sauna use can increase the absorption of chemicals that are on the skin.
Get more Aliquots! Become a FMF Premium member and get full access to our members-only podcast, The Aliquot, plus live Q&As with Rhonda, biweekly Science Digest emails, and more. Learn more and sign up at: www.foundmyfitness.com/crowdsponsor