Manage episode 317737292 series 2792654
Diabetes is a frightening condition that affects 425 million individuals throughout the world. Since sugar and other processed foods are the main ingredients for most food products, we aren’t really left with much of a choice.
Jose Hernandez, the Co-Founder and President of ChipMonk Baking, thought otherwise. He and David Downing, Co-Founder and CEO, started the brand to provide healthier snacking options not only to help those suffering from diabetes but audiences who are trying to eat clean and healthy by avoiding sugar or keeping a keto diet.
In this episode, Jose and Michael, the Director of Digital Marketing at Chipmonk Baking, share the story of how ChipMonk Baking started and how they grew a sugar-free, low-carb, and diabetic-friendly brand by focusing on direct to consumer eCommerce sales first.
What’s striking about this episode is how Jose knew from the start that they wanted to build an e-commerce brand that’s scalable - and not be limited to operating at their geographical location like most local bakeries are.
They also share with us the alternative ingredients they used, how they innovate for product development, source consumers, and draw traffic to their e-commerce business through SEO, social media, and paid ads.
Listen to learn more and stay tuned for a sneak peek of the cookie flavors and products they are launching soon!
Virginia Foodie Essentials:
- There's a lot of things you can't have. But there's a lot of alternatives and ways to get around the things that you like. - Jose Hernandez
- There are so many tools available that you can use to just quickly fix the big things, at least understand how other things can improve. - Michael Downing
- Our goal is to keep our ad spend at about 10% of our sales. So if we're going above that, then we're growing too fast. - Michael Downing
- We're actively testing flavors on our audience to see what they like so that we can introduce them at the right time. - Jose Hernandez
Key Points From This Episode:
- Jose’s journey to reverse the effects of diabetes
- Why they use “clean” ingredients in what they bake
- Incorporating allulose as a “clean” alternate sweetener
- How they source and monitor the quality of their ingredients
- Why setting goals are important for a startup business
- Their set up to be more effective with e-commerce
- How they plan, implement, and organize their content
- How Chipmonk Baking finds and draws people to their website
- What to expect from Chipmonk Baking in the coming year
More About the Guests:
Jose Hernandez is the co-founder of ChipMonk Baking, a health nut, and was previously diagnosed with type two diabetes. His personal experience of successfully reversing the impact of diabetes has been the driving force behind ChipMonk Baking.
Michael Downing is the Director of Digital Marketing at Chipmonk Baking.
Follow ChipMonk Baking:
Follow The Virginia Foodie here:Support the show (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/vafoodie)