Manage episode 295984465 series 1299196
In this episode of The Woof Meow Show from Don talks with Roxane Dubay, a Public Health Educator/Tobacco Specialist from Bangor Public Health and Community Services, and Dr. Mark Hanks, a veterinarian from Kindred Spirits Veterinary clinic in Orrington, about second and third-hand smoke, nicotine, vape and e-pens, marijuana and the hazard these products pose to our pets.
An article on Don's blog at http://bit.ly/Pets-Nicotine-APR21 provides additional information and links on this topic.Contact Info Roxane Dubay Public Health Educator/Tobacco Specialist Bangor Public Health and Community Serviceshttps://www.kindredvet.com/ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kindredspiritsvet/ Don Hanson & Kate Dutra Green Acres Kennel Shop, ForceFreePets.com & The Woof Meow ShowLocation: 1653 Union St, Bangor, ME 04401-2204 Phone: (207) 945-6841, x103 Email-Email Don Website-Green Acres: https://www.greenacreskennel.com/ Facebook-Green Acres: https://www.facebook.com/GreenAcresKennelShop/ Website-The Woof Meow Show: https://woofmeowshow.libsyn.com/ Facebook-The Woof Meow Show: https://www.facebook.com/WoofMeowShow/ Website-ForceFreePets-https://forcefreepets.com/ Facebook-ForceFreePets-https://www.facebook.com/ForceFreePets Recommended Resources
Articles on Don's Blog ( http://www.words-woofs-meows.com )
Tobacco Smoke, Vaping, Nicotine, and The Risk They Pose to Our Pets – http://bit.ly/Pets-Nicotine-APR21Resources
1Bertone-Johnson ER, Procter-Gray E, Gollenberg AL, et al. Environmental tobacco smoke and canine urinary cotinine level. Environ Res. 2008;106(3):361-4. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17950271. Accessed Nov 11, 2012.
2Reif JS, Bruns C, Lower KS. Cancer of the Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinuses and Exposure to Environmental Tobacco Smoke in Pet Dogs. Am J Epidemiol 1998; 147:488–92. Available at: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/147/5/488.short. Accessed Nov 11, 2012.
3Reif JS, Dunn K, Ogilvie GK et al. Passive smoking and canine lung cancer risk. Am J Epidemiol 1992 Feb 1;135(3):234-9. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1546698. Accessed Nov 11, 2012.
4Environmental Tobacco Smoke and Risk of Malignant Lymphoma in Pet Cats; Am J Epidemiol 2002; 156:268–73. Bertone ER, Snyder LA, Moore AS. http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/156/3/268.full
5Matt GE, Quintana PJE, Hovell MF et al. Households contaminated by environmental tobacco smoke: sources of infant exposures. Tob Control 2004;13:29-3. Available at: http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/13/1/29.short. Accessed Nov 11, 2012.
Other ResourcesSmoking, Vaping, Nicotine & Pets
- Stop Smoking – For Your Health and Your Pets' Health – AVMA website – https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/Stop-smoking-for-your-pets-health.aspx
- Animal Poison Control Center – https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control
- US FDA – Be Smoke-free and Help Your Pets Live Longer, Healthier Lives – https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-health-literacy/be-smoke-free-and-help-your-pets-live-longer-healthier-lives
- E-CIGARETTES AND PETS DO NOT MIX – https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/uncategorized/e-cigarettes-pets-mix/
- CDC – Quick Facts on the Risks of E-cigarettes for Kids, Teens, and Young Adults – https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/Quick-Facts-on-the-Risks-of-E-cigarettes-for-Kids-Teens-and-Young-Adults.html
- Bangor Public Health & Community Services – Tobacco, E-Cig, & Vaping Prevention – https://www.bangorpublichealth.org/community/tobacco-ecig-vaping-prevention/
- com – https://mainequitlink.com/
- org – https://breatheeasymaine.org/
- Smoke-Free Homes Pledge – https://breatheeasymaine.org/smoke-free-homes-pledge/
- MaineHealth Center for Tobacco Independence website – https://ctimaine.org/
You can listen to The Woof Meow Show on Z62 Retro Radio, AM620, and WKIT HD3 at 9 AM on Saturday. If you are not near a radio, listen on your computer at http://bit.ly/AM620-WZON or your smartphone or tablet with the free WZON 620 AM app. A podcast of the show is typically posted immediately after the show. You can download this show and others at http://bit.ly/WfMwPodcasts, at Don's blog http://bit.ly/Words-Woofs-Meows and the Apple iTunes store.