Manage episode 252332487 series 1539223
Fasting with food may sound like an oxymoron. But according to leading longevity researchers, it's the best, safest & easiest approach to creating the type of "metabolic stress" that triggers the body to start a process of cellular cleaning known for improving not only life span but also healthspan.
In the first episode (no. 76) of a two-part series, I'm speaking with Dr. Felicia Stoler -- a registered dietitian and exercise physiologist whose work with the L-Nutra company lead me to try the 5 Day Fast Mimicking Diet. In this episode, we discuss:
- The research taking place across the globe (at present, 44 clinical trials) all aimed at better understanding how fasting and metabolic stress support longevity
- Why metabolic stress is so crucial to the process of cellular clean up known as autophagy
- How the 5 Day Fast Mimicking Diet works
- What foods are included in the 5 Day Fast Mimicking Diet kits
- Why fasting with the kit is a better approach to fasting than simply fasting without any food at all
- The general benefits people report experiencing after the 5 Day Fast Mimicking Diet, including weight loss, reduction in markers of inflammation, reduction in metabolic markers, as well as increased alertness and energy
We wrap up this section of our interview with a discussion about the role that protein plays in triggering the nutrient-sensing pathways and why the message to eat more protein may actually be doing more harm than good when it comes to longevity.
Next, Felicia and I discuss the program I got to try immediately following my 5-day fast -- the Nutrition for Longevity program. In this next episode (no. 77), we discuss:
- The company's background and mission to serve as a regenerative form of agriculture
- Why the Nutrition for Longevity program fits so seamlessly with the 5 Day Fast as a good transition to a more plant-based diet following the fast
- The environmentally friendly packaging of the shipments and how shipments are at present only intended for a single end-user
- The various calorie levels and diets available
We close out our time together with a brief discussion of Prolon's "Fast Bar" -- a nut-based bar intended for use by individuals who want to extend their time-restricted eating pattern (aka "intermittent fasting) from a metabolic standpoint but would like to have some food during that time.
I close out this part of the podcast with my personal thoughts on this experience, including how the food of the Prolon 5 Day Fast Mimicking Diet did lead to a bit of flavor fatigue for me, noting, however, that I found it to be an extremely positive experience and would definitely do it again. I also explain why I felt that the two programs -- the 5 Day Fast Mimicking Diet and Nutrition for Longevity -- worked so well together and why I credit the experience with shifting my eating habits to a more whole food, plant-based eating pattern in a way that nothing else has done for many years.
Lastly, I share with listeners that both programs are available for purchase with a 10% discount simply by using the code UNMILLENNIAL at checkout here:
- Sign up HERE for the 5 Day Fast Mimicking Diet (use code UNMILLENNIAL at checkout)
- Sign up HERE for the Nutrition For Longevity Program (use code UNMILLENNIAL at checkout)
To end the show, I give a brief mention of how my Voxes back and forth with friends about my new favorite hairbrush dryer lead to a discussion of favorite hairsprays. I came to love my favorite -- L'Oreal Elnett -- after years of purchasing more expensive products that always seemed to result in clogged nozzles with either a wasted partially used bottle OR large gloppy droplets of hairspray. The L'Oreal product never has either problem.
As always, if you have thoughts on this topic or others you'd like to hear on the show, send me an email OR message me on social media. I'm ReganJonesRDN on Facebook and Instagram. I'm ReganJonesRD on Twitter.
I look forward to bringing you another episode next week! Take Care. ~Regan