Manage episode 298329901 series 118651
Vox's Sean Illing talks with CNN's Fareed Zakaria about the global trend in democratic decline, and whether we should worry about America. They discuss why the Republican Party has become an existential threat to our constitutional system, whether he thinks Democrats are capable of rising to the challenge, and what reasons we have for optimism.
Host: Sean Illing (@seanilling), Interviews Writer, Vox
Guest: Fareed Zakaria (@FareedZakaria), Host of CNN's GPS, Washington Post columnist
- “Fareed Zakaria on the most important lesson of the Trump presidency” by Sean illing (Vox; Jan. 19, 2018)
- “The Rise of Illiberal Democracy” by Fareed Zakaria (Foreign Affairs; 1997)
- “The Biggest Threat to Democracy Is the GOP Stealing the Next Election” by Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt (The Atlantic; July 9)
- Parties and Politics in America by Clinton Rossiter (Cornell; 1960)
- “The Institutionalization of the U.S. House of Representatives” by Nelson Polsby (American Political Science Review; 1968)
Enjoyed this episode? Rate Vox Conversations ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ and leave a review on Apple Podcasts.
Subscribe for free. Be the first to hear the next episode of Vox Conversations by subscribing in your favorite podcast app.
Support Vox Conversations by making a financial contribution to Vox! bit.ly/givepodcasts
This episode was made by:
- Producer: Erikk Geannikis
- Editor: Amy Drozdowska
- VP, Vox Audio: Liz Kelly Nelson
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices