Manage episode 299505824 series 2481786
John and Jared are going to revisit and unpack this classic question posed by Dr. David Moser three decades ago and identify what is hard about Chinese, what is easier now, and whether Chinese really is harder than other languages.
The guest interview is with Sarah Kutulakos, a lifetime Chinese learner and the executive director at the Canada China Business Council.
Links from the episode:
- Why Chinese Is So Damn Hard, by Dr. David Moser
- Why Learning Chinese Is Hard (Sinosplice)
- The Princess Bride: "Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." (YouTube)
- YCLC Episode #8: Tones, Music, and Confidence, with Dr. David Moser
- YCLC Episode #39: The Future of Learning Chinese, with Terry Waltz
- The Monkey’s Paw (Mandarin Companion Level 1 Graded Reader)
- The Simpsons: The Monkey's Paw (YouTube)
Thanks for listening to the podcast! Please write John and Jared a review on Apple Podcasts and they’ll give you a shout-out! They are also taking questions from listeners. If you have a question, reach them at email@example.com. Follow them on Facebook and catch their latest Chinese-learning memes on Instagram.